Monday, January 28, 2013

Expectations



We all have expectations.

In my experience I have found expectations to be happiness killers. The times in my life where I just followed my heart, doing what I was good at, everything turned out great. It was only when I started having grand expectations of myself with what I wanted that life started throwing me a curve ball. My mother use to tell me son don't put the cart before the horse..... Expectations can really hurt us in some cases, and then there is the spiritual concept where expectations are a must in your life and  relationship with God.  because we in the natural can’t predict an outcome, But God can as he controls all things. All we can do is do our best, living in the now and staying present.
What is it that we expect from
ourselves
others
but most of all our God

 It's important that we understand both sides of the fence, both the natural and the spiritual. In the natural Expecting too much sets us up for disappointment. However in the spiritual  Expecting too much sets up for the realm of abundance. So many relationships fail because of expectations we put on the other person and ourselves. When we learn to accept and be grateful for what we have and who we are, we let go of our expectations. Living in the now let’s us be more aware of the present moment, experiencing the event. Haven’t you gone to a movie that everyone has raved about, only to find you were disappointed? You actually hated it and were so frustrated and let down because of the high expectations you had.   This really proves my theory. 

The more I thought about it the more  I realized that I needed to put my expectations in God and take them off man.  And when I  let go of my expectations (high or low) of family or friends. It seem like our friendship and relationship began to grow on the positive side...You never want to make someone feel obligated in any relationship.
 
 Once I did, I was so pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed my life and my family. It was funny,  when I realized that I controlled the outcome of things  and my own destiny I began to see things so different. And realize we all need to reach out, help others and make them feel good regardless of race, religion or culture.
Just yesterday my friend  told me how happy he was that he took my advice, concerning some issues in his life.  He said: “You know? I always had these expectations of my relationship with my mom and family. I was blaming them for many things, and then  I realized it's not all their fault. I was at fault as well and I had to learn to accept and be accountable for my actions. By doing this, we have created a great, new relationship. I have no expectations; I just have a family that I love.  So thank you for pushing me to see my error. He has helped me salvage this relationship as well as a many others.”
Don’t you think it would be better to just live your life, experiencing it as it happens? By taking this action, you really don’t have expectations; you’re just experiencing something as it unfolds.
I have started living my life in the NOW. I must tell you that when I started letting go of all these high expectations I put on myself, everything became lighter for me. I even received a phone call from an old friend saying: “Wow. I don’t know what you are doing right now, but you seem very grounded and peaceful.” He is right. I am! It was all because of letting go of expectations and demands that I had put on myself.
Live for today! YES, you should still set goals for yourself. Those are healthy. It’s the expectations that aren’t. Let them go to see if you feel better, lighter and more peaceful, and you’ll find out if these expectations help or hurt you. The best part? I bet you’ll feel freer having let go of your expectations. See what happens when you try!


When you learn to live for today and not worry about tomorrow you will find peace in your life that you thought you never had. It's important to understand the scripture says this.....

Matthew 6:25-34
25 Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?
26 Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?
27 Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?
28 And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:
29 And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.
30 Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?
31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?
32 (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.
33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

Friend, the only thing that I would like to leave with you is this, pursure Gods presence in your life

James 4:8
Draw night to God, and he will draw night to you.
So friend the only person you should put an expectation upon is your heavenly father. He will stand true and meet your need according to his riches in Glory.
 By: Dr. Michael N. Smith Sr.

No comments:

Post a Comment