Sunday, August 19, 2012

"Remember the meals"


The Art of Food



Food is a wonderful gift that comes in too many assortments to name. Do you make time during your day to eat a meal and fully enjoy it or do you eat on the run? When was the last time you set a place setting for yourself and your family?
Do you eat when you are hungry or find yourself eating because of boredom, depression, anger, and/or sexual frustration?
Maybe it’s all of the above. Here are some comments conveying the enjoyment and awareness of what you eat.
As I sit here it reminds of what the scripture says  in
Psalms 34:8
O taste and see that the LORD is good:  blessed is the man that trusteth in him.
Look at the word taste: to experience, to savor something...Wow if we just experience the goodness and the power of God in our lives.  Another part of scripture that stands out in my mind is found in:
I Corinthians 11:20-26
23 For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:
24 And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.
25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.
26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.
And the part I would like for you to pay close attention to is in verses 24-25. 

I ask you the next time you sit at the family table take time to give thanks, and then enjoy the goodness and the blessing of  God in your home and in your life and  recognize one thing, that in the midst of mass confusion and the rush of every day life.... The writer David said in
Psalms 23:5
Thou preparest a table before me in the  presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

I loved the sleep over’s at my grandparents house. They made me feel like a real special.  person, My grandfather could make the best home made biscuits for breakfast, and my grandmother could have empty cabinets and a empty refrigerator and still make a meal fit for a king... and they always seemed to spoil us grand kids. I remember saying to my grandmother, What are we going to have for breakfast. And her reply “I'm not sure what we  are eating for breakfast but it will be good.” I will never forget that.  It was then that I learned the importance of all three meals. They taught me to savor the food. “Michael, I want you to taste what you are eating and enjoy each bite. No one is going to take it away from you so SLOW DOWN, eat it, and enjoy it,” they would say. I think many people just shovel it in so they can move onto something “more important” or because they’re afraid someone will take it away before they’re finished. Is that something you do?
Food is to be enjoyed. Do you savor the flavors and the tastes of what you are eating? If not, you’re missing out. I savor every bite! I love food… everything about it. I love the colors, textures and tastes, but most of the aroma that comes when it's being prepared. I even enjoy grocery shopping,  Doing this is an acquired skill and my other grandmother (who I called granny) taught me that.  What are your experiences and memories with food?
As I continue to get older, my memories still revolve around food.  I look forward to that  family dinner every night, because I remember and  loved our conversations at the table about  growing up: about what we did at school, my new friends, my  classes and what ever else had transpired in the day in the family.
I recently read a  study on family dinners, stating that children who regularly sat down for dinner with their parents did better in school. The study said that many went on to lead successful and healthy lives. I believe it! Everything stems from food: the nutritional value, the experience, the love that goes into cooking, and the warmth that the connection people can share with food. I felt so connected to my family when we were eating.
My family originates from Oklahoma, and you know that good southern food.  Everything was about the food, and was it good!  I felt so connected to them when we ate. It was such a warm experience. They were life lessons; what it means to come together to eat a wonderful prepared meal. This only made my desire to eat with my family regularly even greater.
Have you ever seen the  documentary entitled “Jiro Dreams of Sushi.” It’s a delightful film about the most famous sushi chef in Tokyo. His name is Jiro Ono, an 85 year-old man who dedicates his life to the craft of being a sushi connoisseur. He works day and night perfecting the craft of making sushi: picking every piece of fish and meticulously training his sons and employees. His restaurants only seat 10 and there is a waiting list for months. He has won the 3-Star Michelin Review, making him the oldest Michelin chef. The really poignant part of the film was the love he had for his two sons. He was tough and really strict with both of them but he wanted them to learn for themselves how to survive in this world and to master their craft. The film expresses the beauty, perfection and love of food. Food is a universal love for all of us.

Maybe now you can start to appreciate and enjoy what you eat. Create and look at food from a different perspective. Take time to relax and enjoy a meal with a friend and/or your family. If you must eat alone, don’t distract yourself with Television, the computer or even reading. Just relish each bite and experience the
Art of Food!
By: Dr. Michael N. Smith Sr.
Please visit us at:
www.libertyministrybuildingwarriors.com 
and please sign the guest book and  please comments on both sites 
they are appreciated.....

No comments:

Post a Comment